Monday 22 February 2016

Tarec interview

Hi folks!

New week and new interview. This time I did an interview with Tarec, whom some of you might know as Tom Volt. Here you go!

Back in the day you played hardcore and organized parties as Tom Volt, but decided to call it a day. What happened? I've always been very ambitious and therefore also determined. I felt that I didn't get enough out of just being a dj and wanted to challenge myself to aim higher. That is why I decided to take a few years off to study sound designing and above all to improve myself so I could return better than ever. Being a dj was never my only goal, I wanted to make my own music and play it. How did Tarec get started? The vision had been in my head for years, but actually it got started when I got to know three people, who later on became my friends. Oskar Hänninen (Digital Mindz), Atte Riihonen (Riiho) and Miro Ilomäki (Bounter). I got inspiration from congenial friends and later on got motivation from their success. When I got accepted to study sound design I decided it was right time to turn my life upside down and concentrate only on one thing (sound/music). For those, who haven't heard of Trarec before, how would you describe your sound? Over the year I came across for example ”Rawstyle with snares”, ”Rawbreed”, ”Industrial Rawstyle” ”Rawcore” description of my own tracks, but I personally don't want to categorize them to anything else than hard electronic music. It is true that new tracks are very much Rawstyle and Crossbreed inspired but even at the moment there are almost pure hardcore ones in the making. Already released ones I'd describe as uptempo Rawstyle with Hardcore and Crossbreed flavor. Music without borders! Why the musical change? Actual change never happened. Even as a dj I liked many different styles and tried to mix them as much as I could. Now as a producer I've got a chance to create entirely kind of tracks I want to. Mixing genres has gotten much more common now that puritanism has stepped aside. From dj point of view does this keep things fresh and offer more challenge? Absolutely! Also there has to be limit to this. As a dancer it is confusing if genre changes during the set too much. Personally I try to keep up a certain style despite the genres. If crossbreed/industrial tracks sets in well with set I've built, why not play it? Quite a few hardcore artists have moved onto rawstyle. What is your take on this matter? Evolution of hardcore has been slow lately and I understand why many have made the change over to rawstyle. There are already many sub-genres and variations in rawstyle, not to mention it huge hype. I wish more variation in hardcore. What got you into electronic music in the first place? I discovered around 2000-2001 Dj Dean (Tunnel Tranceforce) and Tiesto's sets and tracks that I listened to a lot. One of the sets had Dj Fuax's Ping Pong which most likely was first hardcore track I heard. After this I ended to Thunderdome, Rave Massacre etc, records. It didn't take long that I discovered hardstyle (2003) that came with hardcore big part of my life. Rawzone looks like to shape into a big event, what are your expectations of it? Expectations are running high! I think Warface is excellent booking, since he has been very active and is really popular at the moment. For example set at Hard Bass 2016 with Delete and Deetox was huge talking point. I am excited of the promised spectacle, that has been missing in Finnish events. I heard that inspiration was taken from Netherlands biggest events. What can we expect from Tarec in the future? A lot of music. I've been working hard on music and my goal is to release withing six months 10 quite different tracks out. Some might sound more hardcore and some more rawstyle. 2016 is my year and I'll show what I'm capable of.

No comments:

Post a Comment