Thursday 11 February 2016

Talman interview

Hi all!

Hope you had a good week. This time I did an interview with Talman, known for his mailman as Joni Lång. This talented artist hails from Finland and it is really good to see next generation of producers making their mark. Ladies and gentlemen, I proudly present you Talman

What got you interested in hardcore and producing?
”A Long time ago” when I statrted listening to electronic music, mainly around 2007, also rose interest in making own music. Back then tracks were more or sell simple and were of their own kind, that had trouble of finding their own genre. Therefore I started my journey into electronic music with hands up and trance. More interest came in it when my cousin taught me how to make most of FL Studios better, and how to make different genres. While I was learning new techniques and tactics, I also searched for different genres and thanks to friends track suggestion (Angerfist – Broken Chain), I got hooked on hardcore in a minute and later on producing came along, when my skills got on the right level.

Couple of your songs have computer game theme, where did this idea came from?

As an official nerd games and music are very precious pastime for me. When I'm not making music, I play and consume internet and vice versa. What could be better than making music with a game's sound that one has been spend hours on playing. There is a lot of good sample material there on speaks and effects, that suit hardcore. Movie samples weren'tthe thing for me and while I've sampled games I at same time have done invisible promotion for the products I like.

Tracks are far away from mainstream hardcore and are bit slower and are bit in the darker vein. Are you going to continue on this path?

Absolutely I'll continye on the same vein unless an inspiration hits on right frequency and I'd end up on ”lighter” side. Tempo will be kept on same lever from now on, but more speed will be in store at some point for a change.

Where the ideas for the tracks?

The ideas mainly begin with what is called basic structure. Draft of the project always begins with creating own kick, samples and adding of sounds, if project in question isn't old one from the past, for example, which might have a simple beat and experimental melody. As soon as I start project, it is not necessarily clear what the track will be like when finished, but it might live and change during creation to the righ direction when THE idea hits in the conciousness. Ideas mostly begin with computer use, games and other spinoffs and also with a song you hear on radio. Latter case usually ends going through core filter and released as remix or bootleg.

What can we expect form you in the futue?

Of course new material meaning my own tracks, remixes and bootlegs and also performing on dancefloors as in the end of last year I had an honour to join Kovaydin (a Finnish hardcore party organisisation). Maybe new sets as fill for mixcloud.

How easy it is for beginner artist to break into the scene, especially now on digital age, when there are tons of tracks being released?

I'd say it is very difficult, but not impossible. It takes a really hard work since there is so much music existing and one's work can get lost in the middle of it, unless one does something that jumps out of there and grabs attention. It is not always enough that you mkae music and share it on the internet, but you have to know how to ”sell” yourself to the other poeple, so they know more of you. For this there are tactics that each one uses, but the right connections and circles are helpful when creating a carees in wanted directions. In spite of all sometimes you hear of a bedroom producer who has made it into the bigger circles or record label as a artist/dj.

Digitalism has made different marketing channels available (Bandcamp, Soundcloud) and it makes it easier to discover new things, but also drowns real gems under the flood. What is your take on this? Is there too much material, since it is so easy to get your tracks out?

There is a lot of supply and every country has born into a genre. Per se it is not a bad thing eventhough it sometimes can feel that one canät find anything new, but through these services there is always something new and fresh coming by either accident or on purpose. More exotic cases represent theirselves and an amount is not obstacle to discover something new.

What kind of equiptment you use for making music?

Laptop and pc with latest license by FL Studios. My main thing are samples and vst. Most of them are free, because with music you can get good stuff for free! The site I mainly download stuff is ttp://bedroomproducersblog.com/ but also acapellas from looperman.com.
smile emoticon I also like using Image-line's own products that come with the studio for example Maximus and different filters and Styrus. Paid vsts are Zeta+2 raw that I got purposely for producing hardcore, since the vst in question was created by Rob Pape collaborating with Promo.

What may we expect from you in the future?

New, familiar dark stuff and something new and wonderful technically and structurally. Time will tell where it eventually leads.


No comments:

Post a Comment